Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Some Things in Life Are Just Good...

This thought occurred to me during the end of first set of last night's Phish show at Jones Beach - my first in 5 years (and only the band's 5th after a 5 year hiatus) - and stayed with me for the rest of the show. The vibes were fantastic from our arrival at Jones Beach till we got into our car to head home, security didn't hassle people for the most part, and the phans were as friendly as I remember them to have ever been.

Saw Many old friends I haven't seen in years - Andrew K. and his beautiful wife Jennifer, who we met for the first time. Mike P. and his awesome wife Miriam who was at her first show just like Simone. My sister Sara was in the section right next to us and we randomly ran into others we new in a past life (Ari White, Dale, Mayer B-D).

Sitting as high up as we were, we could see the entire crowd swaying and bouncing like a wave to each change in the rhythm or turn in a jam. Harry Hood and If I Could were especially beautiful, Mike's Groove was tight, Timber was a nice surprise and Lovin' Cup summed things up perfectly (What a beautiful buzz what a beautiful buzz). I liked the new song in the first set (Stealing Time From The Faulty Plan) - the chorus was 'There's a blank space where my brain's supposed to me' -nice and introspective.

People right near us brought their 10 month old baby which made us think of bringing Zohara on Thursday - was a bit loud for a baby i fear (there were several other kids Erez's age too). I could see Mike and Miriam grooving in the 2nd row with my binoculars - they were really cute and very into it. Page sounded great all night, Trey's new sobriety fit him well (despite the demi-god camera work on the Hood ambient jam ;-), Mike still wears goofy clothes and Fishman's drumming employed all 4 of his limbs plus that silly dress he now wears with an undershirt underneath.

It was Simone's first show and she had the best time! At one point she turned to me and said 'This is the most fun I've had in as long as I can remember.' And that's what it's really all about - good clean fun and feeling the oneness of everything. Last night was quintessential Phish - the vibes, the scents and subtle sounds, the beautiful surroundings and people. Some things in life are just good I guess...

2 comments:

aa said...

Nice blog. It was great running into you, Simone and Zohara at the Camden show. What a show! I forgot how much fun a phish show can be.

Common Sense said...

So much fun! And awesome seeing you! Next time you gotta bring your little ones too!