Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Just a Game

So I've got the NFL.com football package which gives me access to live streaming of every NFL game and it's been great. Sunday has fast become my most anticipated day of the week as I wait for friends to gather, drink beer and eat crap I'd never get away with eating for dinner (we had hot dogs in blankets this week).

My favorite team is the NY Giants. I grew up watching Big Blue win the Super Bowl when I was 10 (the famous Gulf War game) and have been a fan ever since. Recently, the G-men knocked off the undefeated New England Patriots to win their 3rd franchise championship - an especially sweet victory due to the way it went down (the 'Helmet' catch and last minute drive to put the Giants on top).

This season has been a fairly disappointing one for the Giants thus far but they went a long way towards salvaging things on Sunday with their 2nd win this year over the hated Dallas Cowboys. As I see it, the Giants really have two problems this year: an erratic defense and an inconsistent offense. After starting out 5-0, they failed to score more than their opponents 5 of the next 6 weeks - something I blame both their defense and offense for. At 7-5, they're on the bubble to make the playoffs. Hopefully they continue to score more than their opponents - if not they will lose games and not make the playoffs.

Which is the great thing about watching football: it's a good excuse to get together with the guys and have some fun but at the end of the day, it matters not whether your team wins or loses. I'll never understand people that go into some sort of deep depression if 'their' team loses. After all, it's just a game. And I get to eat my hot dogs in blankets and drink my beer and see the guys whether the Giants win or lose.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yep
sports the great equalizer!
something all can share the excitement of regardless of skill, race, religious background.
and there is something about the intensity of football that draws people in!

Unknown said...

you guys should have a nice vegetable spread too. maybe you'll get some ladies to join if you lower the caloric content of your game snacks :)

Common Sense said...

Not interested in having girls there Sara - sorry, some activities are just for the guys

Donald I agree although there aren't that many Jewish Football players ;-)