Monday, November 16, 2009

Love in the Time of Swine Flu

So I had a very Israeli experience at the pharmacy today. I was in Gilo picking up my vitamin B12 which my doctor is obsessed with for some reason (every doctor seems to have some similar obsession - it's exercise for my Dad, Vitamin D for Simone's Mom) and there was the usual long line to get service. I initially sat down next to this 20-something arsy girl (that the sephardic equivalent of white trash for those that are unfamiliar with arsim) who looked pretty ill. Then she started up with the hacking cough. My immediate instinct was to move to the other side of the room. But she was indignant and called out to me, "What, you think I have Swine Flu?" to which I responded, "I don't know, do you?"

I'm not normally a paranoid type with these things but I figure with an 8-month old in the house, I can't be too safe in the age of Swine Flu (though I'm not afraid of it personally - I don't think it's all that dangerous for healthy adults).

The real kicker came on the flip side. I went to the ATM to withdraw my money for the week and there was hacking cough girl smoking a cigarette. I sincerely hope she didn't have Swine Flu as it seems to attack the respiratory system more than other bodily systems. But whatever she had, I'm pretty sure smoking a cigarette was the last thing she should have been doing. Only in Israel!


2 comments:

Shira said...

I had no idea you were such an anti-smoker. So... how did it end? Did you make out with her? Are you sick?

Unknown said...

these people all need to exercise!